Jeremy Conroy is a passionate self-taught baker who fell in love with the art of sourdough bread making during his global travels. He takes pleasure in blending international flavors and techniques into his sourdough masterpieces.
When it comes to sourdough bread, the possibilities for delicious pairings are endless! The tangy, chewy texture of sourdough bread makes it the perfect companion for a wide variety of flavors and ingredients. Whether you're looking for a savory or sweet pairing, there's something for everyone. Here are some of my favorite pairings for sourdough bread:
1. Cheese: Sourdough bread and cheese are a match made in heaven. The tangy flavor of the bread complements the creamy, salty taste of cheese. Try spreading some soft, tangy goat cheese on a slice of warm sourdough bread, or melt some sharp cheddar on top for a gooey, delicious treat.
2. Soup: There's nothing better than dipping a crusty piece of sourdough bread into a hot bowl of soup. The bread soaks up the flavors of the soup and adds a satisfying crunch to every bite. Whether you're enjoying a classic tomato soup or a hearty vegetable stew, sourdough bread is the perfect accompaniment.
3. Avocado: Avocado toast has become a popular breakfast option, and for good reason. The creamy, buttery texture of avocado pairs beautifully with the tangy, chewy sourdough bread. Mash some ripe avocado onto a slice of toasted sourdough bread, sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and a squeeze of lemon juice, and you have a simple, yet delicious snack or meal.
4. Smoked Salmon: For a gourmet twist on a classic pairing, try topping your sourdough bread with some thinly sliced smoked salmon. The smoky, salty flavor of the salmon complements the tangy sourdough perfectly. Add a dollop of cream cheese and a sprinkle of fresh dill for an extra burst of flavor.
5. Nut Butter and Jam: Sourdough bread isn't just for savory pairings. It also makes a fantastic base for sweet toppings. Spread some creamy nut butter, such as almond or peanut, on a slice of sourdough bread, and top it off with your favorite jam or jelly. The tangy bread adds a unique twist to this classic combination.
6. Grilled Vegetables: Grilling vegetables brings out their natural sweetness and adds a smoky flavor that pairs beautifully with sourdough bread. Slice up some zucchini, bell peppers, and eggplant, toss them in olive oil and your favorite seasonings, and grill them until tender. Serve them on top of a slice of toasted sourdough bread for a delicious and healthy meal.
7. Poached Eggs: Sourdough bread and eggs are a match made in breakfast heaven. Whether you prefer them scrambled, fried, or poached, eggs on sourdough toast are a delicious way to start your day. The tangy bread adds a depth of flavor to the eggs and provides the perfect base for a hearty breakfast.
These are just a few of the many delicious pairings for sourdough bread. Get creative and experiment with different flavors and ingredients to find your own favorite combinations. With sourdough bread, the possibilities are truly endless!