Oliver Crust is a culinary instructor and sourdough expert who has been teaching bread making classes for over a decade. He is known for his innovative sourdough recipes and his ability to make the bread-making process accessible to people of all skill levels. Oliver is also a regular contributor to various food and baking magazines.
When it comes to sourdough starter, the possibilities are endless! Not only can you make delicious sourdough bread, but you can also use your starter to create unique and flavorful pancakes. These non-traditional pancake recipes will take your breakfast game to the next level. Let's dive in!
1. Buckwheat Sourdough Pancakes: If you're looking for a gluten-free option, these pancakes are perfect for you. The nutty flavor of buckwheat combined with the tanginess of sourdough creates a delightful and hearty pancake. Top them with your favorite fruits and a drizzle of maple syrup for a delicious breakfast treat.
2. Discard Pancakes: Don't let your discarded sourdough starter go to waste! Instead, use it to make these fluffy and flavorful pancakes. The discard adds a subtle tanginess to the pancakes, making them a unique and delicious twist on the classic recipe. Serve them with butter and your favorite toppings for a scrumptious breakfast.
3. Einkorn Sourdough Pancakes: Einkorn flour is an ancient grain that has a rich and nutty flavor. When combined with sourdough starter, it creates pancakes that are both nutritious and delicious. These pancakes have a slightly denser texture and a deep, complex flavor that will leave you wanting more.
4. Sourdough Cornmeal Pancakes: Add some texture and crunch to your pancakes with the addition of cornmeal. The combination of cornmeal and sourdough creates a pancake that is both fluffy and slightly crispy. Serve them with a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of chives for a savory twist.
5. Sourdough Oatmeal Pancakes: If you're a fan of oatmeal, you'll love these pancakes. The addition of oatmeal to the batter gives the pancakes a hearty and wholesome texture. They are perfect for a cozy breakfast on a chilly morning. Top them with your favorite fruits and a drizzle of honey for a delightful start to your day.
6. Sourdough Scallion Pancakes: For a savory twist on traditional pancakes, try making scallion pancakes with your sourdough starter. The tanginess of the sourdough complements the savory flavors of scallions perfectly. Serve them with a soy dipping sauce for a delicious appetizer or side dish.
7. Sourdough Crepes: Crepes are thin and delicate pancakes that can be filled with a variety of sweet or savory fillings. By using sourdough starter in the batter, you'll add a subtle tanginess that takes these crepes to a whole new level. Fill them with your favorite fruits, Nutella, or even savory fillings like cheese and spinach.
8. Sourdough Pancake Mix: If you want to have pancakes on hand whenever the craving strikes, why not make a sourdough pancake mix? Combine your sourdough starter with flour, sugar, and baking powder, and store it in an airtight container. When you're ready to make pancakes, simply add eggs, milk, and any additional flavors you desire. It's a convenient and delicious way to enjoy sourdough pancakes anytime.
So there you have it, a variety of creative non-traditional pancake recipes that use sourdough starter. Whether you're looking for gluten-free options, savory twists, or unique flavors, these recipes will surely satisfy your pancake cravings. Get creative in the kitchen and enjoy the wonderful world of sourdough pancakes!